Friday, October 27, 2006



WHERE I'M FROM

I am from hand-made Easter dresses, from Ranger Rick, Heartland Granola, and Cabbage Patch Kids.

I am from the oldest house in Calloway County, whippoorwill and bobwhite calls in the evening, haunted woods and cemeteries, and forests filled with unicorns and wood nymphs.

I am from yellow seas of daffodils on the hillside, butterfly weed along the dirt road home, and daylilies blooming behind the old building.

I am from homemade gift-giving, bargain shopping, porch settin', and pickin' and grinnin', from stubborn Scotch, Irish, and
Germans, from Loughs and Mullens, from Evelyn Jenny, and Mary Gene.

I am from music-filled houses, craftsmen, and lively conversations.

From "Jesus loves me, this I know" and "Music is the language of the soul".

I am from conservative Southern Baptists, potlucks on the grounds, "Just As I Am", alter calls, and kind-hearted sunday school teachers.

I'm from the land between the lakes, the green rolling hills of West Virginia, the Blue Ridge mountains, and the foothills of Tennessee, from homemade English muffins, apple butter, biscuits and gravy, and Baba's spaghetti.

From a World War II veteran and a spunky, but genteel Southern lady, from a motherless boy raised by his siblings and who went "sparkin" with Gracie, the neighboring farmgirl.

I am from weavers of magic tales, from bundling up under handmade afghans in front of warm fires, from vegetable gardens and feeding the cows, from long summer days filled with play, from an old, white farmhouse and a childhood filled with innocence and love. May every child be so blessed!


(This poem was inspired from a poem by George Ella Lyons and the template has made the rounds for others to do. It is a great way to reflect on what makes you who you are. The link is here:http://www.swva.net/fred1st/wif.htm. I'd love to hear your "Where I'm From" poems! -bluemountainmama)

21 comments:

Mary Ellen Phillips said...

well-said homemade afghan sharer, $.05 Christmas play putter-onner.
That pretty much says it all. Very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very Beautiful....I didn't want the story to end.....love ya, W

Cosette said...

Love your poem! Makes me want to whip up a batch of cookies and sit in front of the fire :) Look forward to seeing more great stuff on your page!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful poem! I got shivers in a couple of places. Loved the term "sparking." Here's mine. http://www.looseleafnotes.com/notes/a_poem_where_im_from/

Anonymous said...

I may be older than you are, but you remind me so very much of myself in this poem. What a lovely paeon to all that is good about growing up and passing it on.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Wow, what a beautiful poem and I too am from some of the very same things. I am so looking forward to us getting to know one another.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Wow, what a beautiful poem and I too am from some of the very same things. I am so looking forward to us getting to know one another.

Kim

bluemountainmama said...

ditto, kim!

kenju said...

I found you! Welcome to blogging. I think you can already see what a community we are.

Your "where I'm from" is great. I have been meaning to write one too, and you brought it to mind again. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Darlin'!
I guess we did OK in things that really matter. We sat here and wept as we read your poem! Beautiful!!
Mom and Dad

Anna said...

I love the picture that you paint with your words...very inspiring and makes my heart ache for home...I feel like I know you already...

Susan Tidwell said...

Welcome to blogging! Love your WIF poem, mine is here

Anonymous said...

Great Stuff Amy. Loved the Halloween pics. Sir Laughsalot is really the truth. We'll do our best to stop back soon.

bluemountainmama said...

tom, joan, & kyle- nice to hear from you and hope you do stop by again soon!

Shelley said...

Hi, I found you through Elise at A Path Made Straight. I love your poem and thanks for the link to the template. I did one too, and had such fun. You can see it if you link to my name. I don't often look back at my childhood with fond memories...lots of pain there, but when I did this I discovered a lot of love and warmth I had forgotten. Blessings to you and yours.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

I found you through looking at "Tiny Texas Houses"....what a trip away from looking at the 'less is more' side of living....but then I guess that is what this fantastic trip to your site was......Gosh, at 58 yo I wish I was just starting out.

Anonymous said...

am from the oldest house in Calloway County, whippoorwill and splendid poem!
it's like a little girl running down the street, with her chubby hand dangling from a pink coat sleeve, caressing everything that came across, with no pause she is running posting a few messages about her unbeatable influence on various things in life...
fabulous, what a celebration each moment would have gloated about

I especially loved this set....

haunted woods and cemeteries, and forests filled with unicorns and wood nymphs.

I am from yellow seas of daffodils on the hillside, butterfly weed along the dirt road home, and daylilies blooming behind the old building...
such a Picturesque rendition

Jyo

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture your words drew for me. Your world sounds idyllic. It's so nice you have those memories lingering in your mind.

Anonymous said...

Amy...I absolutely love this poem. I remember your old house very well, and I loved everything about it and it's surrounding grounds. I remember thinking I could "feel" its past residents and that was wonderfully scary and exciting all at once! Your house was the BEST place to be during the fall. Thinking about it now, I'm quite homesick. Thank you for leading me to your blog. I think I'll try my hand at writing a poem like this myself. I bet it will sound quite similar to yours! Emily

bluemountainmama said...

so nice to get a comment from you, emily. yes, it was a wonderful place to grow up! you SHOULD write a WIF poem and i would love to hear it if you do.....

Happy Hippie said...

Great poem. My family is from a similar area. You captured the beauty and simplicity perfectly!