Friday, April 06, 2007

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul! What wondrous love is this, O my soul! What wondrous love is this that caused the Lord of bliss To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul, To bear the dreadful curse for my soul.

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down, When I was sinking down, sinking down, When I was sinking down beneath God’s righteous frown, Christ laid aside His crown for my soul, for my soul, Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb, I will sing, I will sing; To God and to the Lamb, I will sing. To God and to the Lamb Who is the great “I Am”; While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing; While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on; And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on. And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing and joyful be; And through eternity, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;And through eternity, I’ll sing on.

Words: Alexander Means. Music: William Walker, 1835.


This hymn is one of my favorites. It is especially beautiful when sung in the traditional shaped-note tradition here .......... As in most shaped-note sessions, they sing the notes first, then the lyrics.
Wishing you all a Wonderful and Joyous Easter as we celebrate the risen King!!!!

(photo: taken along a road in Ireland........)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. There is nothing else to be said...

JAM said...

I love the photo. I've always loved B&W, and especially with subjects that almost ask to be in B&W. The audio clip is quite interesting. I'm ignorant of such things and I really like the sound of this.

Anna said...

Ditto Mike.

Warm Easter wishes to you and your family! :)

Take care way over there across the pond!

Andrea said...

I love that poem. So evoking.
have a blessed Easter!!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

wish u and family a very happy Easter :)and the pic is so calming.....

kirsten said...

HE IS RISEN!! Hallelujah.

Joyous Easter!!

carmilevy said...

All the best to you and your family on this holiday. I'm so glad I've had a chance to cross your blog path in recent months, and I look forward to reading and seeing more of your wonderful work.

BTW, I've added you to my blogroll. This way I'll never forget my way back :)

Anna said...

Thought of you today! Hoping that you had a wonderful Easter.

:)

Anonymous said...

Is it Dingle? I did love the statues (mostly of Mary) that stood at the start of most towns in Ireland.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a combination of Gregorian chant and Celtic music! Very interesting, haunting and lovely.

bluemountainmama said...

colleen- it is actually on the sleigh head (?) peninsula near Tralee.......

Anna said...

Check this site out and let me know what you think...
www.theviewfromthepew.blogspot.com
"See" you soon!

Michelle said...

Excellent post! The shaped note singing is very interesting, I hadn't heard of it before!

Tom Atkins said...

The picture is breath taking and so appropriate for the season. I hope your easter as as moving as the image and song you shared!

Tom

Rosie said...

Very happy Easter to you as well. And thanks for the excellent linkage! I passed it on to my Jewish friend Erica who is a huge gospel and hymn fan. Oddly enough, she is closer to a shape note singing group in Brooklyn than I am here in Tennessee!