Thursday, December 13, 2007

I first saw her at the kid's program at church. She stood out to me amongst all the other kids... a little chubby.. glasses.. straggly hair.. mismatched, raggedy clothes. The boys were picking on her and she was hitting them. I had to intervene in the situation a couple of times, to ask the boys to stop teasing and tell her it wasn't okay to hit. It can be a rowdy crew on Wednesday night, as our church provides a meal, singing time, and classes for community children. A lot of the children come from some of the rougher sections of our community. ... "the wrong side of the tracks", so to speak.

I sensed a troubled spirit in the girl.... an oppressed spirit. I felt empathy for her, and knew she was one to watch out for and give a little extra attention to.

Today I went to Sir Laughsalot's school to meet with a young student I would be mentoring through a new program that targets at-risk children in their early years, before they reach high school and drop out. I hadn't met the student before today, but knew she had moved around a lot, was frequently absent, and was struggling in her school subjects. When she walked in, she grinned a familiar grin when she saw me, and I recognized her as the little girl from church.

As one who doesn't believe that things happen by chance, I had to grin, also.... and wink at God for knowing exactly what He's doing. He knows my heart intimately, and I am grateful that He has entrusted me with another fragile little soul to show His love and compassion towards. Pray for me in this new endeavor.... I can't help anyone on my own, but because I am a vessel for a higher and greater love, I know that love can be channeled through me and out towards this little girl.

Providence...


(As a sidenote, Here is a good article about how one constant and involved adult in a child's life can make a difference.... it focuses more on teenage boys, but it is encouraging. If you have not seen the Frontline documentary it refers to, "Country Boys", I highly recommend it as a must-see film. It follows two poverty stricken and at-risk boys in rural Appalachia through their adolescence. It is heartwrenching, but moving, and really hones in on the need for our communities to surround these kids and get involved in their lives. Your local library probably has it, and it is a three part documentary.

Also, if you would be interested in mentoring a child in your community, go here. What could be a better way to spend a couple of hours each week?)

10 comments:

photowannabe said...

The Lord sure doesn't make mistakes does He? This is really a Devine appointment. By the girls smile it says she will listen to you and I know the Lord will put the right words in your mouth as you love on her.

Kerri Farley said...

I find myself putting so many limitations on God....when HE is so limitless! I am still amazed at what He can do...and I shouldn't be!

He is Awesome...and what you are doing is pretty Awesome too!

Lindah said...

I was searching for a word to describe the way the Lord brought this child into your life...I believe Kerri's word, "awesome," sums it up as adequately as our human words and thoughts can. Thank you for being available to God and through God to make a difference in this little life. Exciting!

Blessed Christmas to you and yours,
Linda H

Lakshmi said...

Many times I keep thinking about the things we dont have ..but we hardly realize what we have - of late I am thankful for being what I am and its great that people are like you are giving back to the community in a way..its very inspiring to read posts like these

christianne said...

That's a great story, Blue. It touched my heart that your heart was touched by this girl, and I'm so, so glad you are the one who God placed in her life as a mentor. I can't imagine anyone better.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful reminder to keep hope for children in a world that seems to leave them behind. I loved Country Boys, but it pained me because I had know so many boys just like those in the film. So much potential. . . I'll be praying for you as you face this new and wonderful challenge. :-)

June said...

I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason and that are "chance" interactions have meaning. How lucky this girl is to have "found" you!

Raghu Ram Prasad said...

Yes i really agree with you and even i buy greeting cards from the orphan children's art for sending new year greetings

kirsten said...

What a wonderful encounter, Blue! I love how God uses these unexpected, but ulimately divine appointments to guide us to fulfilling His purposes for us (and how, in the process, our own hearts come to be filled).

Thanks for sharing the links, and blessings to you!

colleen said...

My husband does this kind of work every day. We loved "Country Boys" and are continually amazed at the line up of design.