Monday, December 03, 2007

A Southerly Wind.......


I heard it in the wee morning hours.... It jolted me out of my dream. It shook and rattled the house. Then I heard a familiar Thud....Slam! The sound that I hear when Sir Laughsalot has had a nightmare.... the thud as he jumps out of bed, and the sound of his door slamming behind him as he bolts to our room. He jumped into my bed, wide-eyed... "what is that sound, mommy?"

"Just the wind, sweetie..... it decided to come out and play tonight."

'but it's scary..... i want to sleep with you.'


"No, let's go back to your room and get all tucked in... it's the middle of the night. Do you remember, in our book, how Laura Ingalls spoke of the wind howling in the winter time, rattling their windows and doors, like it was trying to get in? But she wasn't afraid..... She felt safe and warm and cozy, tucked into their little cabin.."

'yes, mommy....'

"Well, that's just what the wind does in the winter. I think it wants to come in out of the cold, too. So it raps on our windows and doors. That's why we should be thankful, like Laura, that we have a warm, cozy house to sleep in....and we don't have to sleep outside in the cold, like the wind."

'poor house......and poor wind', Sir Laughsalot sighed, as he snuggled back under his covers.

I went back to my room and lifted the window shade. The sky was grey and wintry, and I could see all the trees bending and swaying.... and my heart was grateful for this early winter wind.... because it brought a little, stolen moment of sweetness and comfort in the middle of the night.

13 comments:

June said...

What a terrific story - both the actual event with your son and the words you spoke to him. What a wonderful way to allay his fears. Honestly, it has the makings of a children's book!

photowannabe said...

Yes this truly was a moment of sweetness. Those were perfect words to settle his scary thoughts.
The wind can really rattle more than the windows.
Hubby is feeling better today, the first breakthrough in a week. he said the pressure in his head was gone and he's actually sleeping peacefully right now. That's something he hasn't done in a week either. PTL!!!

bluemountainmama said...

yes, praise the lord, sue! that's good news....

A said...

Mama- thanks for stopping by for a visit! Check back when you get a chance. I have something there I think you'll like!

A

Beth said...

That is just beautiful, Blue. Such a sweet, loving moment. Sir Laughalot is a blessed little boy to have such a good Mommy. He will always remember those moments where he felt so safe, warm, and cherished.

Mimi said...

I loved the black and white photo of the wind. I haven't had a nighttime visitor in a long time now, amazing.

Mimi

colleen said...

So sweet. It practically brings tears to my eyes missing my sons when they were little like that.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:) @ SirLaughsalot's reply....hiss sympathy for the wind was endearing.... that's a lovely pic on top, Blue and i line your new profile pic too......i am around very much, just a little busy...will catch up soon again :)

YourFireAnt said...

A lovely post. Full of coziness and chill, the one necessary to appreciation of the other. Wonderful writing.

FA

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. The wind has been howling to get in here, too. We've battened down all the hatches and covered the door with a blanket. Brrr! :-)

L.L. Barkat said...

It really has been blustery. Even as a big person I sometimes tremble.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

*Sweetness*, indeed. What a wise mama. :)
I shall use this on my own little ones, when the wind rattles our apartment as it sweeps through the valley. Not as romantic as a home in the Appalachians, or a rustic house on the prairie. But worthy of a stolen moment for sure.

Kerri Farley said...

How very sweet! We were having those very same winds :) and today it is snowing.

I LOVE your B&W shots! Gorgeous!