Thursday, November 30, 2006

FRED FIRST.....

"IF you live in or long for the southern mountains-- IF you find yourself drawn toward the pace and pleasures of unhurried, out-of-the-way places-- IF you hope for a home you are waiting to find, then you will feel at home in the pages of this "memoir of place", Slow Road Home ~ a Blue Ridge Book of Days."


I just finished this book by Fred First, a fellow blogger friend. For anyone who lives in, loves, or longs for the Blue Ridge mountains or just enjoys nature and a slower pace of life, this is a must-read! Fred has an incredible gift with words and an eye for the ordinary and small things that most of us pass by and take for granted. The book is made up of short essays and vignettes about his life on his farm in a little narrow valley of southwest Virginia. He takes the reader along with him as he discovers the wonders that are just outside his back door.

I loved the book, which is best read slowly, one essay at a time, to take in the thoughts and imagery of each entry. It would make a wonderful winter read and a wonderful gift- and I'm sure Fred would be more than happy to personalize each copy. For more info on "Slow Road Home" and Fred First, click here. And while you're there, check out his blog- it is my daily must read blog and he posts wonderful photographs along with it.


7 comments:

Andrea said...

Ooh, looks like something I would enjoy, as my husband and I long for the mountains. (personally I love the blue ridge mountains.) Looks like a great gift to give (and get!)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That sounds really realy interesting and wonderful...! Thanks for the "heads-up"!

Anonymous said...

Looks like something interesting. I'll go look!

Tom

Susan Tidwell said...

I agree, a great book. Fred is a very creative writer, his words take you right to Goose Creek in VA.

Great book, great blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great gift ideas!

fred said...

Well, kind words appreciated, and I'd welcome visits to the blog or book site.

The book is about to get a new life as a digitally-printed second edition and therewith, a means of wider distribution (via the bigboxbook stores and such) and so easier to find outside the SW Va area.

Meanwhile, it's available by PayPal or check on slowroadhome.com

kenju said...

I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it a great deal. Now I am buying some of Fred's set of notecards which are now available. They are beautiful, as are most of his photos.