Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Orphan Crisis .....
"143 million children worldwide have lost one or both parents ... ... from AIDS, war, ethnic cleansing, natural disasters ... ... and now many are condemned to lives of crime, prostitution, and killing in order to survive."
This quote is from an e-mail I received recently from Focus on the Family. For those who know me, it is an issue that is close to my heart, and also an issue that is close to God's heart: "... You are the defender of orphans ... LORD, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will listen to their cries and comfort them. You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed, so people can no longer terrify them.- Psalm 10:14, 17-18
The case of orphans is a global epidemic that will only continue to get worse, especially with the AIDS epidemic. It is estimated that by the year 2010, there wil be over 25 million children orphaned by AIDS. And statistically, kids that grow up as orphans, even in the states, have little chance for a decent life. Several Christian organizations are teaming up to bring awareness to this issue, help people learn more about this crisis, and offer ways that the average person can help. It is an issue that affects all of us, so if you have time, please visit this site and learn more: www.voiceoftheorphan.org .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Those numbers are scary. I will visit that site and I will pray.

You haven't been blogging long, but already you've touched major issues and posted some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen! I would love to live in the Appalachians. Gorgeous.

What music does your mother do? Got any other folk music recommendations? It's my favorite genre - the words to the song you wrote about on The Flourishing Mother sound lovely as well.

I have an e-mail option on my site -you can use that to contact me!

Glad to have found you!

bluemountainmama said...

thanks elise! i had a good friend growing up named elise and haven't heard that name since! and i'll try to e-mail you soon.

Anonymous said...

You know, we sponsor a little girl in Thailand who is the same age as my daughter, through Christian Children's fund. When I read their information it read much like yours. I read what normally happened to girls in that part of the country, and I look at my wonderful, joyful daughter so loved by so many, my heart just goes out to this girl so far away. In most countries, it takes so little to make such a difference in a child's life and future. Just a few dollars can be transforming and saving. I hope many read and follow your link.

Tom

bluemountainmama said...

You're right, Tom- a little goes a long ways in a lot of other countries. It's great to hear that you sponsor a child. Just the money most people spend on a couple of sodas could feed a child for a week!