Sunday, November 19, 2006

Heeeeere's Joooohnny.............


Johnny Staats that is! He came to our little town last night and all I can say is WOW!!


He is a mandolin phenomenon! He brought along a guitar player and bass player, all incredible musicians. Both Johnny and his guitar player are flatpicking champions on their respective instruments. The crowd loved them and they received a standing ovation and came back on stage for an encore. And bluegrass fan or not, he is worth going to hear- his playing is so unique you don't have to like bluegrass to enjoy it- the musicianship alone is worth going to see.



The cool thing is Johnny drives an UPS truck full-time to support his family- he even wrote a song about "the big brown truck". So that makes his accomplishment on the mandolin even more incredible. And he still lives in a small town in his native West Virginia even though he's been offered the opportunity to go to Nashville. So I highly recommend checking out his tour schedule and going to hear him if he comes near you. And that's my plug- more to come on other musicians and friends of mine ! :)

Click here for a sound bite..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love mandolins and bluegrass music for that matter. I always thought it would be cool to learn how to play a mandolin. Oh well, I still got time. :) Glad you had fun.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! He sounds quite incredible. The Mandolin is such a beautiful instrument....!

Emily said...

I'm going to check out Johnny's music. My Bro-in-law loves bluegrass and that might be the perfect Christmas gift for him!

Thanks for stopping in at my blog! You've gotta tell me how you do your crockpot turkey. . . I'd love to try it! (Brining the bird can get $$$ if you use store-bought stock or broth.) Best wishes on your feast preparations!

Emily

Lady of the house said...

What a serendipitous surprise! I am a graduate of Murray State University and lived in Murray for 8 years. Glad to have found you!

Susan Tidwell said...

Looks like great fun! Nothing like live music to get your spirits up.

Anonymous said...

Just a quidk stop by to wish you and yours a great thanksgiving!

Tom

bluemountainmama said...

Jenny- I grew up in the little community of New Concord outside of Murray. How did you know I was from there? Good to here from you but there wasn't a place to click over to your blog from your profile. Can you send me the link?

Tom- thank you for your Thanksgiving wellwishes!