Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"The Church In The Wildwood"..........
Words & Music: Dr. William S. Pitts, 1857
(words tweaked by bmm...)

"There's a church in the valley by the wildwood
No lovelier spot in the dale
No place is so dear to my childhood
As the little white church in the vale

How sweet on a clear Sabbath morning
To listen to the clear ringing bells
Its tones so sweetly are calling
Oh come to the church in the vale


There, close by the church in the valley

Lies one that I loved so well
He sleeps, sweetly sleeps, 'neath the willow
Disturb not his rest in the vale

There, close by the side of that loved one
'Neath the tree where the wild flowers bloom
When farewell hymns shall be chanted
I shall rest by his side in the tomb

(Oh, come, come, come, come)
Come to the church by the wildwood
Oh, come to the church in the vale
No spot is so dear to my childhood
As the little white church in the vale "










- The photos are of the church Aunt Sarah and Uncle Curtis (see prev. post) attended. It lies on a hill across from their farm...Sarah's childhood church. And they are both buried in the churchyard, under a grove of trees. Sarah lying just feet from her childhood home.....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love old, white country churches. It is wonderful that you are so close to these places that you can share them with your son. What a fantastic gift to give him...his heritage. I love the pics.

Susan Tidwell said...

Love the old church photos, and the song! I will be humming that all day.

bluemountainmama said...

is anyone else having problems with blogger? it won't let me comment on anyone's sites and it wouldn't let me publish posts unless my html editor was off.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. I love to dream of attending a church like that.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had any problems today posting...I am not sure what is up with that!

Anna said...

This is SO weird! Is it still coming up as anonymous?

Anonymous said...

The old churches are beautiful. We have one close to our house that still has outhouses standing. It's very small and the congregration is dwindling. I think they meet on Saturday.

Anna said...

I love MotherSkylark and her ideas...have fun with her! Tell her hi!

Tom Atkins said...

I have a huge weaknesses for these small country churches and love to capture them in Photographs. I loved seeing these pictures. Thank you!

Tom