Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Echos of the past are whispered in the wind....
gently lulling me.....





















Lulling me......This is what happens when I see old farms and old
buildings. I'm drawn to them and their timelessness. I imagine what went on within their walls, all the joy, tragedy, heartbreak- mountain life was hard in the Appalachians back when these places were in their prime and every home had it's share of both pain and sorrow. But I also picture the family sitting on the porch in the evening, telling tales, playing the fiddle, banjo, or dulcimer, singing the old mountain ballads- as that was their sole form of entertainment and a respite from the hard life they lived.


I grew up in an an old farmhouse with lots of history. It was, in fact, the oldest house in our county. I always believed there were "good ghosts" there- not literal ghosts, but echos and memories of all its former inhabitants. And maybe that is why I still feel so connected to places with history.

When I see an old farmhouse, church, or school building set against the backdrop of the mountains, I feel a stirring inside my soul, a connection with the mountain people who once inhabited it. So you'll see this theme in a lot of the photos I take. And I hope to soon post pictures of my grandfather's homeplace that he and his brothers built. I am so proud to have roots in Appalachia and am grateful that I get to raise my son in the mountains. I hope he will feel that deep connection to the land where he is growing up, also.

11 comments:

Cosette said...

Love the pictures on this post!

Anonymous said...

I adore the first picture, of the cabin. I lived in a 2 room log cabin for many years (many years ago)and loved it. There's just a mood to your picture that focuses and simplifies life and the heart. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

bluemountainmama...these really are beautiful...
thanks for sharing your world with me...I look forward to it everyday.

Andrea said...

I love these pictures of Appalachia. I love the sense of being connected to the land your ancestors lived. My grandparents lived in a place like that, and I love that place...long for it. The land *is* in your bones.
Thanks for the pics, they help me dream!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully told sentiment that conveys such a bittersweet feeling. I get that way too about roots and history.

You're right, your butterfly friends on bikes do sound like Josh Circus and Company!

kenju said...

I love that first photo!

Susan Tidwell said...

We are indeed lucky to live in these special mountains. It is a shame to see the old places disappearing. Great photos!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This reminds me of that line from "Gone With The Wind" when Scarlett's father tells her that "the Land" is the only thing that is important....It is wonderful to have the heritage you do and I look soooo forward to seeing the pictures you spoke of....these in this post give one such a feeling of "place"...!

Anonymous said...

You are blessed, my friend. Your surroundings are beautiful. And your son will most certainly feel a connection, since you do so strongly.
It reminds me of the book "Christy".
I, too, long for the beauty of the isolated mountains; the fog hanging low over the peaks, the greyness of winter. It's so peaceful.

bluemountainmama said...

elise- i love the book "christy"- she was from asheville, nc, which is where i used to live, before she went to tennessee(or was it KY?) to teach. i love the blue ridge mountains down in that part of NC and still consider that "home".

bluemountainmama said...

elise- i love the book "christy"- she was from asheville, nc, which is where i used to live, before she went to tennessee(or was it KY?) to teach. i love the blue ridge mountains down in that part of NC and still consider that "home".